We’re still quilting

I haven’t posted here on the website in a while but we’re still making and donating HeartStrings quilts. If interested in joining us, come on over to our discussion group on Groups.io.

We’re still making our regular Red and Blue centered HeartStrings blocks but we like to play with variations too. This one of mine uses lights on one side of the center strip.

And I recently finished quilting this Sharon inspired HeartStrings quilt pieced by Barbara … a real group effort! Our Sharon inspired quilts are more planned and you can find instructions at this link.

A New Project

The Maine sew in is done and we’re already thinking ahead to next year! We decided on two projects and you have options!

You can always make our red or blue centered blocks and send them to Sue or Stephanie but we’ll plan on working on the rainbow blocks and RWB blocks this year and you can sew along with us making and donating quilts locally or you can send blocks to Maine, to Sue, or to Stephanie!!

First up, Rainbow blocks … made like our regular HeartStrings blocks on a 10 inch muslin foundation and trimmed to 9.5 inches only we’ll use a single color in each block. I have some brief instructions on my website at this link.

We’ll also work on quilts for veterans … using a blue center strip and then a variety of red, white (or beige or tan), and blue strings. Again, using the same guidelines as we do for our HeartStrings blocks.

So how many blocks can we make in a year?! Make a stack and then let me know when you need a mailing address. If they’re coming to Maine, Brenda has agreed to collect and bring them in September but Sue and Stephanie are looking forward to receiving blocks too.

Karen got an early start at this year’s sew-in!

Who’s who?

Ginger wanted to identify the quilters in the Maine photos and since there isn’t an easy way to do that in the photo galleries I’d posted, I thought I’d try to do it here.

Mary – that’s me on the right … I’m one of the coordinators for the HeartStrings group.

Bev is our hostess … she organizes the sew-in each year in Yarmouth Maine and is on the right in the photo below …. and Brenda from NH is on the left.

Ann from PA brought SOOO many quilts to donate and hand sewed the bindings. We were so jealous of how fast she worked!

Jackie from NJ

“Little” Mary from Maine (not to be confused with me!) in the front and Brenda’s friend Barbara in the background.

It was Susan’s first sew-in

Jackie’s friend Karen from Virginia Beach was playing with crumb blocks.

Sharon (on the left) and Mavie (on the right) are also from Maine

Day 4

Today was the 4th day of the Maine sew-in and the last one for me until next year but Brenda will take and share photos with us tomorrow.

Today’s photos feature more HeartStrings quilts, the St Louis 16 patch, and there are a couple Sharon Quilts in progress too. Barbara got her top assembled and “little” Mary has blocks in progress. Susan even pieced a Quick Strippie. Click on any of the photos below to see a slide show.

If you’d like to make your own Sharon Quilt (a planned version of our HeartStrings quilt) this link will take you to an older post with the guidelines.

Day 3

More fun, more accomplished! I can’t believe I didn’t get a photo of the quilt stacks today but I was busy … tying quilts and chatting! I look forward all year to coming and sewing with Bev and the other quilts who come to Maine to work on HeartStrings and other donation quilts.

Bev is busy sewing and Mary is chatting while waiting her turn at the ironing board!

Click on any photo below to view a slide show of the images.

Day 2

So much being accomplished here in Maine!

Our stack of quilts is growing, some were finished before the sew-in and brought to donate and others are being pieced, tied, and bound here. You can see, we’re all hard at work! Plenty of HeartStrings blocks but we like making other patterns too.

Click on any of the photos below to see the slide show!